- Honeybees are the only insect that produces food for people.
- Honeybees are a great scientific mystery because they have remained unchanged for 20 million years even though the world has changed around them.
- Honeybees are responsible for the pollination of approximately 80% of all fruit, vegetable and seed crops in the United States.
- Bees collect 66 lbs of pollen per year, per hive. Pollen is the male germ cells produced by all flowering plants for fertilization and plant embryo formation.
- The Honeybee uses pollen as food.
- Properly cured honey (honey with less than 18% water) will never spoil.
- Honey has antibacterial properties which combats infections and speeds the healing process.
- Honeybees have to travel over 55,000 miles and visit approximately 2 million flowers to make 1 pound of honey.